With Covid 19 unleashing its wrath, the world is witnessing a situation unknown to humanity previously! With the pandemic having claimed millions of lives across the world, scientists across the world are racing to find a vaccine to help deal with the disease and the deaths. In a bid to doing their bit for medical research, independent watchmaker Ressence and Sotheby’s Watch Division are joining forces against coronavirus this season and launching a competition to design a unique watch.
For the first time ever, watch-lovers will have the chance to create their own interpretation of one of Ressence’s latest models, the Type 1 Slim. The competition which opened from 28 April (2pm GMT) is on until 12 May (2pm GMT). The winning design will beselected by Belgian designer and Ressence founder Benoît Mintiens, in consultation with the brand’s Swiss manufacturers, who will then bring the winning design to life as a watch. The successful designer will have their name engraved on the case of the piece. The unique piece will be offered in Sotheby’s Hong Kong “Important Watches” auction on 11 July. Proceeds from the sale will support the Covid-19 Research Programme at KU Leuven University in Belgium.
HOW TO TAKE PART IN THE COMPETITION?
Contestants can download the outline drawings (dial and back) of the Type 1 Slim on www.ressencewatches.com/TimeToDraw
• There are no restrictions on the tools participants can use: from colouring pencils and felt pens to Photoshop, nothing is off-limits.
• The following specifications should be submitted along with the drawing:
- Colour for each component (only one colour per component)
- Colour of the graphics (numbers and lines)
- Colour of the graphics glow (Superluminova)
• The design (graphical format) should be submitted by email to email@example.com before 12 May (2pm GMT), together with the name or inscription for the engraving and the participant’s contact details.
• Drawings can also be shared on Instagram with the hashtag #WatchesAgainstCovid19 and the tags @ressence_watches and @SothebysWatches
Get down to drawing now!